Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Lifestyles of the Underpaid and Medicated

Mood: cozy Song: "R-E-S-P-E-C-T"-all in good fun, of course :) Since I'm home sick today (apparently acute bronchitis-possibly pneumonia doesn't mix well with trying to corral a batch of seventh graders :) ), I've had a chance to play catch up on my reading. My loving daddy sent me Teachers Have it Easy *just the title, as you can imagine, sent me into gales of laughter*. The book even had an endorsement from Lemony Snicket on the back (an unfortunately fortunate event :) ). *pauses a moment to whip out the ever-present portable soapbox* The author's premise is SHOCKING! He suggests that teachers may not be renumerated as they should be and that this might actually impact schools' abilities to attract qualified professionals. To state a glittering generality, all teachers are altruistic, right, so we shouldn't expect to get paid, right? Well, then, I suppose doctors fall in the same category-maybe they can donate about 75% of their salary; then they'd make what the average teacher does. Teachers also go into teaching knowing that they're not going to earn a significant salary, so why pay them a lot? YOU try living for 12 months on a 9 month salary...yes, I am only required to be at school 40 hours per week, but I honestly can't remember the last time I pulled less than 60-70 hours per week to feel effective. What is the solution? The average teaching salary for a starting professional? 32,000. The average starting salary for a corporate drone? at least $45,000. It amazes me that many people still have the erroneous assumption that teachers are mainly women whose husbands are the primary breadwinners, making thier teaching salary a moot point. Tell that to all the single parents or men with families of 4 or more who press onward through the red tape of districts and the barrages of parent phone calls, neglecting thier children to teach yours. I'm not complaining, really...I appreciate the paycheck and went into my career with blinders firmly off. I'm just "educating" ...it's what I do. Fortunately, the rewards of spending time in a classroom are priceless. I'd love to hear other (and more well-informed) opinions to comment on/balance mine :). Happy posting...I'm going to sleep and having Nyquill dreams :D.

1 Comments:

At 5:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad women's lib. didn't reach that far into the teaching profession nor the social services profession. Still California is a much better paid state, thanks to women's lib and equal opportunity. This is when I turn on my fellow Republicans and hail the democrats for their contributions to my salary. :0)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home